Lest We Forget
Main Performance: Whitley Bay Playhouse, Sunday November 10, 6pm
Community Performance: TBC
Rehearsals: Blue Flames, Benton, NE12 9SF
(Thursdays, 7.30-9.30pm unless indicated)
September: 5, 12, 19, 26
October: 3, 10, 17, 19 (Saturday 10am-12pm), 24, 31
November: 9 (Saturday 10am-12pm)
In 2019, we mark a number of significant anniversaries of events that we should never forget. At the beginning of June it was 75 years since D-Day, when brave Allied troops stormed the beaches of Northern France, and we saw hugely emotional scenes remembering their sacrifice. This year also commemorates 100 years since the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, ending the state of war between Germany and the Allies in World War I, and 50 years since the first deployment of British troops in Northern Ireland. Known as Remembrance Day in the UK, and Veterans Day in the US, each year in early November, we pause to make sure that those who have gone before us and sacrificed to allow us to live in peace, are never forgotten.
Many artists have turned to song when wanting to speak out against the horror of war, pause for reflection, pay tribute, or simply remember. In ‘Lest We Forget’, Sing United offers its own contribution of musical remembrance. Classic anti-war anthems from Marvin Gaye and George Harrison sit alongside tales of American conflicts by artists such as Bob Marley and Johnny Horton. There will be a very special “For England Medley”, and closer to home, Sing United continues to support north east artists, as we also include music from Teesside’s The Young’uns, and their story of Johnny Longstaff as he went from begging on the streets, to fighting against fascism at The Battle of Cable Street.
Whatever the sacrifice, lest we forget.
Our Membership Packages
Waiting List Spaces Open In...
Each term, the sign up process to become a member of Sing United is the same.
Spaces are strictly limited, so please follow the guide below if you want to secure your place.
- Our membership runs on a monthly subscription basis. In the run up to our main concert, current singers get the opportunity to indicate whether they want to continue their membership for the following term.
- Members of the Waiting List then get the opportunity to take any remaining spaces on a first come first served basis. If you are on the Waiting List, you will be sent the information on how to join shortly before.
Waiting list singers can join: July 8th, 9am
What if I can’t make all of the rehearsals?
We know that sometimes you would love to join for a whole project but can’t make all of the rehearsals. If that is the case for you, we don’t want you to feel excluded from taking part. After all, this is about uniting! We know that life is busy and maybe you can only come some weeks and not others – no problem. You have 2 options available:
You can still sign up with one of the 2 membership packages and access the exciting extras that are included.
Or you are still welcome to attend rehearsals and pay as you go at a cost of £10 per session. All we ask is that if you want to take part in the concert, you must have attended a minimum of 8 of the 11 rehearsals.
What if I can make the rehearsals but not the concert?
We know that for some people, rehearsals are as much fun as the concert. We also know they don’t want to miss the whole experience just because they have another commitment on concert day. So, if this is you and you want to come to rehearsals knowing you can’t make the concert, don’t worry! You can still join! All we ask is that you make sure your Musical Director knows no later than 4 weeks before the show.
I’ve got a friend who would like to come and try out Sing United for a session.
Great! They are welcome to come and join us for a session and see what Sing United is all about, completely free of charge! If this is early in the rehearsal period and they would like to attend future rehearsals, they are very welcome. They will simply pay a cost of £10 per session. See “What if I can’t make all of the rehearsals?” above.
What do we wear for our performances?
It’s really important to me that you are comfortable and have some creativity when it comes to what you wear when performing with Sing United. Smart, yes, but also with freedom to have some variety. Therefore, you can wear ANY combination of the Sing United green, black and white. I’m not after a uniform look of black plus the green, I would like white to be incorporated too. Ladies, feel free to wear sleeves or not, skirt or trousers whatever your preference. So for example, you could have a black lower half, a white or black top half, and accessorise with the green. Or you could be all in black, barring white and green accessories. Whatever works for you.
All I ask is that you try to match the Sing United green as closely as possible. To see the hex / RGB / CMYK codes for the green, you can click HERE.
What musicians will accompany us when we perform?
Sing United is backed by a band of top class north-east musicians. The instrumental line up will be piano, acoustic guitar, violin, double bass and percussion. The emphasis is on providing a warm, predominantly acoustic backing, allowing the singers to shine!
Tell me more about these extras in the bundles!
We want Sing United to be about you! So, we have put together a list of extras that we think people who sing for fun will love! Then to save you money, we’ve bundled them in the different membership packages that are available. Which is your favourite?
- Show Logo Pin Badge – Each show that we work on will have an icon or image that represents the theme of the music. All members will receive one as part of their membership as a little memento. That way you can collect them and look back on your experiences with Sing United.
- Money off tickets! – Champion package singers get a fantastic 20% OFF discount on ALL Sing United tickets. This is a great way to save money for you and your friends and family.
- Priority ticket sales period – There will be a 1 week priority ticket sales period, available only to Champion package singers. This gives you a chance to make sure they have their seats before anyone else!
- Access to Professional Photo Gallery – At every show there will be a professional photographer. They will take photos not only of the full group and the venue, but also of smaller groups and individuals. Champion singers gain access to the gallery of photos afterwards and have UNLIMITED downloads included with their membership. All singers can also purchase additional prints for a fantastic visual record of the show.
- Exclusive Soundcheck Access – Champion package singers will be able to invite friends and family to attend the soundcheck of the concert. This is a great chance for those with an interest in sound and staging to see behind the scenes. For those that are considering a career in events and want to gain some extra experience, this could be invaluable.
- Professional Audio Recording Download AND Video (NEW!) – One of the most requested things that people always want to know is what they sounded like! After all, the sound on stage is never the same as the audience hear. So recordings are not only interesting, but great to have as a memento of the experiences you were part of. Sing United concerts are professionally recorded and videoed. These recordings will be made available afterwards for Champion package singers as a one-time download FREE with their membership. Member package singers can purchase these separately in the Shop at a cost of £10 (audio) or £15 (video).
- Sing United Family Membership Discount – Here at Sing United we are really keen to encourage families to sing together! So we created Sing United Family as an extra singing opportunity either for children to attend on their own, or for families to attend together. If you are a Champion member of the main Sing United, you get a 10% discount on membership of Sing United Family. Another great way to save!
- Merchandise Discount – All Champion package singers also get to save 20% on ANY Sing United Merchandise purchased in our online shop! Just another reason to be one of our Champion singers!